Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Job Hunt

My family keeps asking for school/job/move updates every time they see or talk to me, so I thought it might be helpful to post a quick recap of Doug's and my professional outlooks for everyone, just so you'll know.

Doug just finished his M.A. in the QMSS program at Columbia University. It's a great program that prepares students from diverse backgrounds for research and applied statistics jobs in a variety of industries. Doug is very talented with quantitative concepts, and he particularly enjoyed the data mining and programming classes. Doug has interviewed with several great tech companies for data science/analysis jobs. The most promising recent interviews were with Amazon in Seattle and Pulse.me in Palo Alto/San Francisco. Pulse.me made Doug a very good offer that we are considering very seriously. We would probably rather be in Seattle for personal aesthetic reasons (more forests, less people, lower housing costs), but the Pulse job is an excellent opportunity with a promising tech startup in a region that's just full of other great companies, smart, talented people, and two world-class universities where either of us could continue our education, should the addiction to learning overwhelm us once again. Rents in the Bay area are ridiculous, but for the next few years we can survive and grow.

My next professional step is up in the air. I have about 60 days of employment left with Webb and three more Saturdays of class at Vanderbilt before I'm done with my MBA. At this point I have pretty extensive experience in technology sales, national-level sales management, corporate HR and training, non-profit fund-raising, education administration, and PR/communications, plus my MBA where I've LOVED the strategy and venture classes and projects. I've also reached a place where I desire autonomy above all else, plus the opportunity to combine all of my experiences while truly making a difference in the world. I'm incredibly attracted to the world of human capital strategy and I'm fascinated with the changes in the US job market (traditional labor jobs are going away; service and knowledge jobs are being created). So I have a lot of exploring to do.There's no better time to make sure that my next step is the right step for my professional life and my personal journey with Doug.

The future is bright, and we're grateful for the blessings in our lives!



No comments:

Post a Comment